Kefyalew earned his Master of Public Health (MPH) degree in Epidemiology and Biostatistics with very great distinction from the University of Gondar in October 2012. Prior to this, he received his Public Health Officer degree with distinction from the same university.
He currently is employed at the University of Gondar in the Institute of Public Health:
- lecturing in Epidemiology, research methodology, and communicable disease control
- supervising medical and health science students in their field work and team training program
- acting as a delegate Department of Health Officer in the absence of the head of the department.
His research includes:
- Research on the prevalence of harmful traditional practices (HTP) in Kolladiba, Northwest Ethiopia.
- Incidence of tuberculosis and determinants among people living with HIV